Saturday, December 3, 2011

MyPhone QW30 Duo Review

FEATURES
Type:Dual SIM WIFI 3G Qwerty phone
Data Connection:GSM / EDGE/ GPRS Class 12
Frequency Range:900/1800/1900 MHz
Display:2.4“ 320X2400 pixels QVGA screen
Browser:WAP 2.0
Messaging:SMS, MMS, EMS, Chat, Email
Ringing Melody:MP3, MIDI, AMR
Applications:Java, Google search, MSN, Yahoo messenger, Gtalk, Opera mini, Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Games, World Clock, Health, Stopwatch, E-book reader, Birthday Reminder
Connectivity:WIFI / Bluetooth / micro USB 2.0/ 3.5mm jack
Imaging:Front: 0.3 Megapixels Back: 3.2 Megapixels
Phonebook:1000 entries
Card slot:microSD (TransFlash) up to 8GB
SPECIFICATIONS
Weight:
Dimensions:117X60X13mm
Talk/Standby Time:
Battery:Standard battery, Li-Ion 1200 mAh
Others:MP3/MP4 player, Yamaha amplifier, Sound recorder, Stereo FM radio, SRS WOW HD
Accessories:Stereo Headset, USB cable
FEATURES
Type:Dual SIM WIFI 3G Qwerty phone
Data Connection:GSM / EDGE/ GPRS Class 12
Frequency Range:900/1800/1900 MHz
Display:2.4“ 320X2400 pixels QVGA screen
Browser:WAP 2.0
Messaging:SMS, MMS, EMS, Chat, Email
Ringing Melody:MP3, MIDI, AMR
Applications:Java, Google search, MSN, Yahoo messenger, Gtalk, Opera mini, Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Games, World Clock, Health, Stopwatch, E-book reader, Birthday Reminder
Connectivity:WIFI / Bluetooth / micro USB 2.0/ 3.5mm jack
Imaging:Front: 0.3 Megapixels Back: 3.2 Megapixels
Phonebook:1000 entries
Card slot:microSD (TransFlash) up to 8GB
SPECIFICATIONS
Weight:
Dimensions:117X60X13mm
Talk/Standby Time:
Battery:Standard battery, Li-Ion 1200 mAh
Others:MP3/MP4 player, Yamaha amplifier, Sound recorder, Stereo FM radio, SRS WOW HD
Accessories:Stereo Headset, USB cable
FEATURES
Type:Dual SIM WIFI 3G Qwerty phone
Data Connection:GSM / EDGE/ GPRS Class 12
Frequency Range:900/1800/1900 MHz
Display:2.4“ 320X2400 pixels QVGA screen
Browser:WAP 2.0
Messaging:SMS, MMS, EMS, Chat, Email
Ringing Melody:MP3, MIDI, AMR
Applications:Java, Google search, MSN, Yahoo messenger, Gtalk, Opera mini, Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Games, World Clock, Health, Stopwatch, E-book reader, Birthday Reminder
Connectivity:WIFI / Bluetooth / micro USB 2.0/ 3.5mm jack
Imaging:Front: 0.3 Megapixels Back: 3.2 Megapixels
Phonebook:1000 entries
Card slot:microSD (TransFlash) up to 8GB
SPECIFICATIONS
Weight:
Dimensions:117X60X13mm
Talk/Standby Time:
Battery:Standard battery, Li-Ion 1200 mAh
Others:MP3/MP4 player, Yamaha amplifier, Sound recorder, Stereo FM radio, SRS WOW HD
Accessories:Stereo Headset, USB cable
See Features at http://myphone.com.ph/product_info.php?products_id=42

I've been using a Samsung touchscreen phone so I wanted to try something different, a QWERTY phone, without spending so much for a BlackBerry or a Nokia. Besides, I was looking for a basic QWERTY phone with 3G and WiFi capabilities, and DUAL SIM function. I don't like carrying two phones with me anymore for business and personal calls. Therefore, those 4 are my main categories for searching for a new phone.

Oh, and by the way, this is not an official or formal review as I'm just putting in the things I find important and those that is applicable to what I need, which may be not useful for others.

Pros:
1. Easy to learn and use.

2. Size is good and it fits the hand perfectly. Weight is normal or average, too.

3. Battery is quick to discharge if you're playing Magic Sushi, the only game installed on the phone. Battery is good though if you're just using it for normal texting and calling. It normally last me 2-3 days from full charge before I have to recharge it.

4. Volume is good enough for loud speaker calls and for music when inside your room. Not when you're outside though, it's low compared to my old Samsung Omnia II i8000's volume.

5. Phone seems to be faster when a memory card is inserted and used. I placed an 8GB microSDHC.

6. Texts on websites opened are shown in readable sizes even without adjusting it.

7. The trackpad is useful for scrolling and it's speed can be customized which is very good.

Cons:
1. The manual is lacking. I doesn't even say which one exactly is SIM1 and SIM2. I had to do trial and error to know which one is which. An actual picture with proper labeling on the manual should do the trick.

2. Alarm clock is confusing. My first week of using the phone, until now, I am still figuring it out. I had not had any alarms sounding among my custom settings. Today, I chose Everyday for the Repeat option to see if it will wake me up tomorrow. My suspected reason why I haven't gotten any alarms are that: I'm turning it off when it's supposed to ON on the settings or vise versa, the alarms are just too low (but my volume settings is set to 7 which is the highest), or maybe I was just too sleepy and quick to turn if off when it sounds. Either way, that's my point saying it is confusing.

3. Screen is too crowded with social networking and messaging icons and there are no options of removing or changing them. I haven't even found any way of adding shortcuts of my important applications to the screen either. It would be good if it could be customized coz there are some that I haven't ever used, like Ebuddy and Google Talk. Funny though, Skype is not among the icons but MSN and Yahoo are.

4. Location of calendar and calculator is a bit hard to find as they are grouped under Organizer. Yeah, I'm quite used to having the Calendar and Calculator as an icon on the screen as they are often used.

5. Camera is not good when indoors or at night coz it has no flash. It's sufficient for posting online if used to take pictures outdoor. *Note: You'll have to adjust the EV or Exposure Value when taking photos indoors. Even if it's too bright under daylight bulbs, it still comes up dark. I had to set the EV to +2 before the image become viewable on my laptop.

6. The keypad has a little bit of clumsy or unstable feel, even the trackpad. If you keep scrolling down, trackpad tends to sway down. The keys feel like they may come off if you press them or wipe them too hard.

7. Signal easily becomes weak when the top back cover is moved. I got a message saying SIM cover was removed while it was on my pocket.

8. There is no place to put a phone accessory like a key chain or something that dangles.

9. Volume of the Audio Player was hard to figure out as again, the manual doesn't have this info. I just tried all the keys and found out that the "-" on the keypad is for lowering volume and "+" on the keypad is for increasing volume. See, I'm used to a phone with dedicated keys for increasing volume when playing music.

10. It doesn't have a separate inbox and sent items for the 2 SIM cards. Rather, text icons are numbered and color coded. In my case, my SIM1 (using Sun Postpaid) has blue icon while my SIM2 (TM Prepaid) has a green icon.

Summary:
It's a good buy despite the obvious things it lacks because it's very affordable. I got mine for Ph 3,888.00 at SM Bacoor, although all other stores including MyPhone's store was actually selling it at Ph 4,998.00 ;) I know it used to be Ph 3,888.00 so I'm glad I found a store that hasn't changed its price back to regular yet ;)

The phone does it's job fairly. Speed is good, battery is average, audio recorder is okay, camera is average, and dual SIM function is working fine. Ah, I almost forgot to mention that only SIM1 is 3G capable. SIM2 is only limited to 2G and GSM but I haven't had the opportunity to test its 3G yet. Also, there seems to be lots of good stuff on its Pinoy features but that has to be installed on the computer first to be accessed.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Isabel!!!

    I for one have the same needs as you. I'm currently using another myPhone but would like to get another once since I have issues with the one that I have. myPhone is a good brand and I have no other complaints but issues that you have said and minor ones do exist. I'd just like to ask if you'd had the chance to use the audio player?? Does it play in succession or do you need to choose and press play. This is one of my major issues with the QT7 Duo.

    Hoping to hear from you the soonest. More power and God bless!!

    Ric A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ric! I find the audio features of MyPhone QW30 a little bit complicated to operate at first. However, once you begin to understand it, it won't be that difficult anymore. I use the audio feature everyday because I'm a person who doesn't sleep without some meditation music playing in the background.

    I created a playlist for Meditation, for Pop, and for Folk & Country songs. Then I just use the Spacebar to open the audio player anytime. Spacebar seems to be the shortcut to the latest playlist that was last played on the Audio Player. I just press it and have instant access to my Meditation Playlist. In case I want to change to Pop music, I just go to Options> Playlist> My Playlists> Pop Hits, select my playlist called "Pop Hits", select Load and play. That's it!

    The SRS WOW HD (Bass) settings seems to be a good setting for me. I had no issues with sounds as it plays well. It plays very well, I would say it's actually good for such a phone. It's pretty much comparable to may old Omnia II i8000's sound.

    What's lacking on the Audio Player of MyPhone QW30 are the options to Play in Shuffle and the option to Mark Several or Select All when adding songs to your playlist. If you want to shuffle your songs, manually rearrange them before playing it. If you want to add songs, add them one by one to your playlist.

    I hope these feedback helps. Oh! I almost forgot. I haven't had the chance to try video calling so I don't know how good the front camera is. But the back camera which has 3.2MP is OK for daylight and not good indoors.

    Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ung track pad po ng QW30 q po nd na po nag wowork san po kaya at magkano ang pagawa??? tarlac area po

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yong sa akin, dinala ko sa Sony Service Center, at sila na ang gumawa. Sony ang may-ari nyang MyPhone e. 5 days nga lang na hihintayin mo, or almost 1 week, lalo pag wala silang parts at oorder pa. Libre lang ang repair pag under warranty. Kaso, after ma-repair, mahirap ng pindutin yong keypad number 3. Kailangan diinan ng husto bago lumabas yong letter or number. Anyway, good luck sa iyong pagpapaayos.

    ReplyDelete